As U.S. troops continue to deploy and defend our nation overseas, many Americans want to know how to send Care Packages for service members — even if they don’t personally know them. Care Packages enhance the morale and well-being of the deployed troops worldwide which is especially important outside the established holidays.
Our country loves supporting our troops both at home and overseas. And Care Packages sent to overseas bases or stateside hospitals are a great way to show that gratitude.
Veterans Services Committee Chair Fran Bellew (PER) will set out a collection box on Thursday, January 31, 2019, to collect items that can be sent to personnel deploying with the Army in March. The box will be available until March 18, 2018; please stop by any Monday through Saturday, 12pm-9pm or Sunday 10am-7pm. Questions should be taken up directly with Fran at (908) 405-2922 or by email at [email protected].
Care Package Do’s
Here are the kinds of items best-suited for Care Packages:
- Personal hygiene items(unscented whenever possible)
- Wet wipes, individually wrapped
- Disposable razors (men’s and women’s)
- Chap sticks
- Tooth brush, toothpaste, body wash, lotion, face wash, mouth wash, deodorant, Q-tips, shampoo, conditioner
- Foot powder and the like
- Feminine products (unscented whenever possible)
- Small packs of napkins and tampons
- Female version of body wash, lotion, razors, face wash, mouth wash, deodorant, Q-tips, hair de-tangler, face moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner
- Small grooming kits
- Laundry PODS packed in a sturdy plastic or metal container.
- Magazines (clean content), paperback puzzle-books, comics, etc.
- Fun posters and calendars for dressing the place up
- AA batteries
- AAA batteries
- Movies and music on thumb drives only (CDs, DVDs and tapes are useless)
- 2 GB + USB memory sticks (thumb drives, blank)
- Cards, letters, group photos
- Tobacco (cigarettes, dip, chew and vapes)
You must double-bag individual liquid and gel items. Just imagine what happens in the war zone when they sometimes get dumped out of a hovering chopper.
Care Package Don’ts
- No pressurized products (aerosol shave cream, hair spray, etc.)
- No cocoa
- No Food
Not yet a member? Are you interested in making new friends, providing direct service to veterans, special children or making a difference in your community? Consider joining the Elks – come down and meet us at Watchung Hills Elks Lodge #885 – click here for our contact information and a map. Send us an email to get the ball rolling at [email protected].Elks Care... Elks Share!
#Elks #BPOE #ElksLodge885 #Elkdom #ElksCareElksShare