Ten of the fifteen originators of the BPO Elks are shown here with, uncharacteristically for them, serious demeanors. These New York City theater entertainers were in fact carefree and fun-loving but soon found that charitable endeavors were their strong passion. When they adopted “charity” as one of their guiding principles, they changed their club’s name in February 1868 from the Jolly Corks to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The elk was chosen as the symbol of the Order because this magnificent animal is distinctly American, strong, and protective. Pictured are (front, from left) Frank Langhorn, William Sheppard, John T. Kent, and Harry Bosworth with (back, from left) E. W. Platt, William Carleton, Richard R. Steirly, Charles A. Vivian, Henry Vandermark, and M. G. Ashe.